Friday, April 11, 2008

I'm a Loser

Not exactly an "Incredible Shrinking Ray" post, since it's not quite to the end of the week, but I hit a milestone this morning that I wanted to share before anything bad happens, like eating a whole buffet accidently...

Long, long ago, in a city far, far away (Terre Haute, Indiana to be precise), I moved in with my grandparents to go to school at Indiana State University. I relished the opportunity to strike out in unfamiliar land, free of the shackles of my youth.

However, I forgot what a shy wallflower I am in reality, and made few friends in the year and a half I was there. I was bored, lonely and depressed, so I spent all my time at school or sleeping. My grandparents, God bless them, meant well, but their idea of a good time was too eat. A lot. It was worse when my grandmother cooked, as I'm pretty sure everything was cooked in lard. And they always encouraged seconds, or thirds, or eighths.

When I moved there in the summer of '89, I weighed 175 lbs. When I moved out in the winter of '90-'91, I weighed 215 lbs.

This morning, I weighed 214 lbs.

I've finally started dipping into the pounds I put on in college. I now weigh what I did when I was 20 years old. I have taken off the weight accumulated from 17 years of bad living in four months time.

Yes, I've still got a long road ahead of me. But for today, I feel as good as when I moved out of Terre Haute. And if you've ever been to Terre Haute, you'll know I mean more than just being lighter!

No comments: