Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Incredible Shrinking Ray - Final Entry

As you can see, blogging about my weight loss has quickly become a rarity anymore. Not due to lack of trying – more like lack of anything interesting to talk about. For that reason, coupled with the fact that it’s now the end of the year, this will be the last official entry for “The Incredible Shrinking Ray”. Maybe an occaisional update when something noteworthy happens.

Two major things have impacted my efforts these last couple of weeks. If you read my previous long blog, you already know about the intestinal blockage that caused me to balloon up. My digestive tract still isn’t quite back to normal – any kind of bowel movement is a challenge. But at least it IS moving! I’ve started to add a few more fiber-related items to my diet to see if I can speed up the process more.

The other thing is just plain laziness, and my continued battle to care about losing more. A huge part of me is thrilled with all the weight lost this year, and I get into a mindset of “you’ve done enough, give yourself a break and have that Coke”. Once in a great while this is fine. But lately it’s been far more often than it should be. I’m looking forward to renewing that focus beginning January 5th – just like last year.

Why January 5th? It’s the day after my birthday, and the days before have become my own personal “Mardi Gras”. On Saturday the 3rd I plan of downing tequila and singing karaoke all night (empty calories), then on the 4th is my annual trip to the sushi bar for the all-you-can-eat special (good calories, but too many of them). The bad news is that when I weigh myself on the 5th I’m certain I’ll be way up over my current 215 lbs, but the good news is that it will drop off quickly by the time I weigh myself a week later – instant gratification!

I plan on making 2009 another weight loss year, along with renewed focus on paying off medical bills that have accumulated over the years. Frankly, I think losing weight will be the easier goal…

Quick overall review: I did not achieve my final goal – missed it by 15 lbs. However, I did come down to a weight I haven’t seen since I was 20 years old. I totally stunned my doctor at a checkup when he saw I’d lost 20 lbs since the prior visit, prompting him to say “I tell a lot of people to lose weight, but no one actually ever DOES it!” I added a few years onto my life, and I’m no longer a borderline diabetic. Finally, I just “feel” better, and look better. I still consider my efforts this year a success, and a good foundation from which to start anew.


Summary:
Starting Weight: 237 lbs.
Current Weight: 215 lbs.
Total Weight Lost: 22 lbs.

2 comments:

000 said...

Congrats Ray. I haven't seen you (at all!) this year, but I'm sure you look great! In fact, you've inspired me to do the same thing for myself this year. If you don't mind, I'd like to keep track of "The Incredible Shrinking Randy" to see if it helps motivate me to my goal!

ActingUpAgain said...

Sure thing. Hope you picked up a few ideas from me that work for you as well!